0.5 sec interval for timelapse

Bugs and Issues only for the Beta version of our apps and firmware
zoom

March 3rd, 2021, 8:04 pm

Hi Oliver,

We had been talked about lifting up the 1 second interval restriction for about 6 months. But when I was exited to test the beta, we still have the same restriction. It's not even allowed an 1 second interval, not to mention 0.5 sec,
IMG_4765.PNG
IMG_4765.PNG (77.07 KiB) Viewed 4893 times
My LRTimelapse pro timer allows me to set a 0.5 second interval with a shutter speed of 1/20 without skipping any frames on my Canon 5d iV. LRTimelapse pro timer also allows to do the interval ramping beautifully. I also had a MIOPS Mobile Remote ($50) which allows me to set 0.1sec interval as well. The new Syrp genie micro also allows 0.1 second interval.

As a timelapse photographer, it's more important to have an accurate short 0.5 sec interval and interval ramping to get a smooth video output. I can easily do a manual bulb ramp with the camera's intervalometer when the interval is more than 1 second without any external device involved.

Hope you guys catch up with the competitors.

Thanks,
Zoom
Andy

March 3rd, 2021, 9:45 pm

Hi Zoom,

We have made great progress on this front recently, in fact we already support 0,1 second intervals on Nikon cameras, but unfortunately on Canon we haven’t been able to reliably trigger the camera on intervals shorter than 1,5 seconds via USB.

I’m also working on adding support for external intervalometers so that you can take advantage of the ramping capabilities of the Unleashed while using another intervalometer.

Btw, the Unleashed already has this implemented in the firmware but the apps still need to implement this in the UI.
Andy
Firmware developer at Foolography
zoom

March 4th, 2021, 9:43 am

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the input.
Andy wrote:
but unfortunately on Canon we haven’t been able to reliably trigger the camera on intervals shorter than 1,5 seconds via USB.
All of the devices that I had been played with don't use the usb cable, but just the pure trigger cable. That may explain the differences.
Andy wrote:
I’m also working on adding support for external intervalometers so that you can take advantage of the ramping capabilities of the Unleashed while using another intervalometer.
This sounds like a wonderful idea! Right now LRTimelapse timer users can use a free app called qDslrDashboard to do the exposure ramping. But it requires another mobile device for the app and the photo transferring thru wifi all the time, which is awkward.

I did try Unleashed and LRTimelapse pro timer together on my camera, but it seems Unleashed doesn't allow me to change any camera settings while the intervalometer is running.

I had contacted Syrp about their new device Micro release(has both trigger and usb ports in one device), which supports 0.1 interval with a trigger cable and exposure ramping with a usb cable, but there's no interval ramping.

I am looking forward to this external intervalometer support feature!

Thanks,
Zoom