How to keep the Unleashed safe from damage

Anything else that doesn't fit in the other more specific Forums
starbase218

April 10th, 2023, 7:31 pm

I have a Nikon D750 with the Unleashed N2. I sort of assumed, that having the Unleashed sticking out of the body, might make it prone to being damaged. Particularly as I use the Spider Holster system for carrying my camera, which means it hangs upside-down along my side, with the lens extending backwards, and the accessory port towards my body.

So I purchased an L bracket that fits around the Unleashed. But it makes the body larger, and adds weight.

So my question is: is any of this necessary in the first place? And if so, how do you do it?
Oliver

April 13th, 2023, 9:58 am

Typically, the position, and minimal protrusion is not a problem, But of course you’ll want to avoid exposing the Unleashed (and your camera) to any harsh forces. Continuous or repetitive pressure from it constantly bumping against your side would certainly not be ideal.
With the N1 on Nikon Pro bodies, You really don’t need to worry at all - the Unleashed sits really tight on the 10 pin socket which is also designed to take some serious abuse - except for some earlier D800's, which had a manufacturing issue: https://imho.alex-kunz.com/2014/04/07/n ... tor-issue/
https://www.dslrbodies.com/cameras/came ... oints.html
D800’s are notorious for the 10-pin connector breaking off the camera body and receding inside.
For the Unleashed N2 have seen all sorts of solutions from customers to improve this:
  • L-brackets where the Unleashed fits nicely in the cutouts
  • wrapping the USB cable around the “shoulder” of the casing around the plug can help dampen forces
  • cutting a rectangular hole into the rubber flap that fits this shoulder, so that the main body of the Unleashed sits on the rubber flap.
  • Squeezing some Sugru or FIMO or other types of repair putty between Unleashed and camera for a perfect fit. Cover the camera body with Saran wrap before plugging in the Unleashed part-way, so you won’t permanently glue the Unleashed to the camera. Add the putty, then push the Unleashed in all the way to get the perfect fit. Let it harden, then remove it and remove the saran wrap, and trim any excess material if you like.
I personally just have the N2 on my Z7 II with the cable wrapped under it (it looks better that way too 😉), and pack it into my backpack in a way that avoids the Unleashed getting any pressure from the bag.

Hope that helps!

Post a reply with a photo of the solution you decide on!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.