Holy Grail with Fujifilm X-T5

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
Snugug

February 12th, 2024, 11:25 pm

Hey all!

I'm trying to set up my Fujiflim X-T5 to shoot Holy Grail images, having attempted to follow the instructions here https://www.foolography.com/faqs/how-to ... imelapses/ but I'm unable to get it to work. Specifically, while I'm able to set my interval and exposure adjustments, Algorithm is set to "off" and can't be changed (has no options), I can't change my starting value (I get info messages saying each setting is read-only and is restricted by hardware dial, switch, or another setting), and I can't just press "start", nothing happens.

My camera is in manual mode (set by adjusting the dials to a fixed, non-auto setting) and I've got USB tethering set to "auto", per the initial setup instructions.

I'm guessing this is likely to do with not being able to change my settings through the app in general (photo mode, for instance, doesn't let me change shutter, f stop, iso, or ev comp).

Can anyone help out? Thanks!
Oliver

February 14th, 2024, 12:08 pm

Hi, and sorry for the trouble!

There are three causes for this:

1) Yes, if you can't change your settings, then Autoramping also won't be able to.
we have instructions how to set up your cameras here: https://www.foolography.com/start/
Further down on that page are the Quirks and limitations of various cameras. Fuji loves their hardware dials, but the Unleashed can't move those, so you need to make sure you set them to Shutterspeed to "T" and Aperture, ISO and Exposure compensation to the "Command" setting. This is usually "C", but on some dials, there's only an "A", in which case you also need to go into the menu where you can toggle the meaning of the "A" position on the dial to mean "Auto" or "Command"

2) Fujifilm camera unfortunately do not send us the EV-meter values of the camera, so we can't offer the EV-Smoothing 24h Algorithm, that's based on the in-camera meter

3) The Other (LRT) Algorithms all need image data from the camera to work. We recently found that Fujifilm deprecated a command that allows us to get small chunks of an image, and only has the command to get the entire image - but ONLY on the X-T5! 🤷‍♂️ We currently rely on this significantly for Image Review, Gallery and the LRT Algorithms, so they don't work on the X-T5 right now. But we already have some ideas for a workaround, that's already at the top of our to-do list to implement.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
Snugug

February 14th, 2024, 12:19 pm

Thanks! Looking forward to the update. I heard from your support team earlier and was able to change my camera setting to full control.

For the Holy Grail problem, I found I also needed to change my settings to RAW+JPEG from just RAW to get any algorithm to show up.

I'll take a look at the quirks.

Tyvm!