USB C Splitter

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
jjmaia

December 29th, 2023, 4:38 pm

I just got my Unleashed and I am a bit disappointed as it is not compatible with the l bracket, unlike what I was told during the campaign.
I bought a USB C slitter like this one:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61E ... L1500_.jpg

Camera charges and the unleashed is powered on without the HDMI port (which for me is so much better), but it doesn't work, although the app is connected, it says USB is not compatible.

Did anyone tried something similar?

Thank you.
Oliver

December 29th, 2023, 5:22 pm

Hi,

I moved this topic here, as I think it's more suitable.

I'm sorry if the Unleashed doesn't fit your L-Bracket. Obviously we can't guarantee this to work on all cameras with all L-Brackets, but as we described in an FAQ in the campaign, a lot of L-Brackets have a cutout for the camera ports where the Unleashed will usually fit nicely, as it's hardly any bigger than cables you might want to plug in. And most L-Brackets also have a slot instead of a hole where the screw attaches the bracket to the camera. you can slide this over to make space between the camera body and the L-Bracket, usually plenty for the Unleashed.

As to your USB Splitter: That sounds like it's not going to work.
- You should not use a splitter that feeds power into the Unleashed. It is not designed for this, and it is quite possible that you will damage your Unleashed! Especially if your camera asks for higher voltages such as 9V via USB-PD, (and this is very common!), depending how your splitter is built, it might feed those 9V into the other ports, which will definitely damage the Unleashed (or other USB devices!)
- The Unleashed is designed to work with power from HDMI. This way it only gets powered on when the camera is turned on and we make several decisions based on this expectation! So when the Unleashed is permanently powered from another source and it tries a few times to connect via USB but fails (eg because the camera is off), it might never try again, because the usual case for this is that the camera was just turned off, and we still have power for a few seconds from the HDMI port. It will only try again when it is power cycled, which will never happen if it is permanently powered...

We have had some success with this splitter:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/gp/product/B098PYB42L
but only with the Unleashed connected to the "headphone" socket, and a power bank connected to the PD socket. but again, limited success due to the above reasons.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.