Pixel-Shift / High-Resolution how-to (Panasonic DC-S5)

Let's help each other to become better photographers and videographers. Tips and tricks for better photos, videos, timelapse etc. are welcome.
uwi

November 12th, 2023, 11:25 am

Today I tried the Unleashed '22 together with the High-Res mode of the Panasonic DC-S5.
It works, not only with the remote photo function, with the timelapse- and holy grail-function too!
You just have to set the interval time long enough. A 96 MP high-res recording needs at least 15 seconds including the writing process. If the time is too short, the hi-res setting will be stopped and the normal setting will be used then.
With 17 seconds it works with my camera (UHS I card).

Addendum:
The automatic adjustment of the exposure (Holy Grail) does not work with High-Res mode, only the regular release. It is possible to manually adjust the exposure in "TimeLapse", but you have to catch exactly the (short) time when the camera has completed the picture and the next picture has not yet been released.
Oliver

December 24th, 2023, 12:04 pm

Sorry for never acknowledging this!
That's really good to hear that that works! We really can't test all these special features individual cameras might have, so thanks for this info and the confirmation that it works.

The Holy grail algorithms will try to make adjustments as soon as the first shot ends, and on Panasonic cameras this is determined by the shutterspeed, so that would explain why it doesn't work in this case.
But to be honest: do you really want to process a series of hundreds and hundreds of 96MP photos into a timelapse, which you'll probably render out as a full-HD video, or maybe, maybe 4k? I'm sure you'll have difficulty finding a device to play anything larger on, and I doubt the extra pixels will be worth the additional trouble that might be introduced by stitching artefacts that are guaranteed to occur when objects move between the individual shots of the pixel shift recording. And if you don't expect to have that: a timelapse without motion is usually very boring to look at... ;-)
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.