Canon EOS 5D Mark IV: Long waiting time after a few pictures

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
cdanuser

December 28th, 2022, 11:23 pm

I notice a strange issue when using the Unleashed 18 on my Mark IV. In the 'Photo' Mode, I am able to trigger a few shots from the App, but after 4 pictures the camera freezes. I can't do anything anymore, and if I switch the camera off, it tells me that I have to wait as there need 4 pictures to be written. This lasts for several minutes, then it works again. The camera's firmware is up to date, GPS is off, the Photo Review is switched off and I just downloaded the latest version of the App.
Unfortunately, I can't use the Unleashed like that... I tried the same with my second camera, but get the same result. The cards are fast one's.

Does anyone have a solution?
Oliver

December 29th, 2022, 11:01 am

Hi,
From what we have found, this is due to an FTP setting in the camera menu causing trouble, despite the Wifi being disconnected.
For some reason, the camera wants to upload all images to the FTP server when USB is active, but fails to do so because Wifi is disabled. So the buffer for those images fills up, and the camera won't let you take any more pictures, and won't even let you turn off the camera!

We tried to implement a solution for this in the latest updates, but were unable to do so.

Before you turn off all the FTP settings, could you take some photos of your camera menu settings? Then turn off one by one of the settings and try again between each change, to see which one of the settings ultimately fixed the issue?
We have been unable to reproduce this issue, but have had several customers confirm that disabling FTP settings does fix the issue. So any additional Info you can give us would be great! Did you use any tethering software before the issue occurred? How did you use the FTP feature (if at all)? If you didn't recently use the FTP feature, did you use it at some point in the past?

Thanks already!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
cdanuser

January 6th, 2023, 4:53 pm

Hello Oliver
Thank you for the suggestion.
Unfortunately, this does not solve the issue. I have the FTP-Settings switched off (Autom. Übertragung Deaktiviert / Übertragen mit SET Deaktiviert) and get the same result as before. If I trigger the camera via App, a small yellow circle is quickly shown but the picture isn't transferred - the mobile phone screen area, where the picture should by shown, it remains black (the picture on the camera back is shown).
Are there any other suggestions? The FTP hint does not solve the problem.
Thank you and best regards,
Christian
Oliver

January 10th, 2023, 5:06 pm

Your first post sounds like a completely different problem, with the camera freezing after 4 photos even with Image review turned off.

That said, we don't know of any issues with image transfer as you describe it.
Could you send us your current settings? (screenshot of the app in Photo mode) and also let us know how you have set up your two card slots on the camera (backup, overflow, raw on one, jpeg on the other, etc)? those should be all the settings that influence image transfer.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.