Auto power off

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
AaronTsur

October 27th, 2021, 10:04 pm

on my Canon 77D when the Unleased id plugged in the Auto power off is disabled. is that something I can change? or is it a bug?
Oliver

October 28th, 2021, 12:32 am

This is only while you're actively using the app, and an additional few minutes. You can change this time in the new Advanced Unleashed settings here: Menu -> Unleashed with Gear icon -> Your Unleashed -> Settings

Sleep Timeout is the time from when you stop actively using the app until we stop talking with the camera. after we stop talking to the camera, we stop keeping it awake, and auto power off can kick in again.

If you're using GPS, there's a different timeout, and while you have a timelapse running, it's disabled.

I hope this helps!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
AaronTsur

October 29th, 2021, 12:07 am

Thank you for the reply. I have tried all kind of values for the time outs and none of them allow the power save mode. The camera stays on and kills the battery.
Oliver

October 30th, 2021, 9:50 pm

Hmm, that's odd.

Could you tell us if you have GPS turned on or not?
We'll try to investigate.
AaronTsur

October 31st, 2021, 3:32 am

yes, GPS is turned on, but even if I turn off the app, it still will not go into power save mode. my main reason for using the Unleased is the GEO tagging. if you can give me a set of values to plug in the settings and what i should expect i will try it. my battery life went from a few days to a few hours when the power save does not kick in.

scenario:
turned od app and camera, the app synced (LED blink green) and the camera screen "GPS" showed.
i then forced stop on the App (Andriod phone), the LED was blinking red (long .. short .. long .. short ..).
my Auto Power Off was set to 30 Sec.
App activity timeout: 1m
Sleep timeout: 1m
Sleep timeout (GPS on) : 5m
Deep sleep timeout: 5m

10 minutes later the camera was still on.

the other day i went on a 2 hour hike, the camera never went into auto power off mode.
Oliver

November 1st, 2021, 2:22 pm

with GPS on, it'll stay awake longer by design, because if the camera goes to standby, the Unleashed loses power and therefore will also drop the Bluetooth connection, so it won't be able to receive GPS data anymore.

That said, it sounds like it's doing so much more than it should. We'll investigate and see what's happening there.
alaikens3

January 21st, 2022, 9:20 pm

I have an issue that the camera battery status goes from fully charged to depleted in a 2-3 days with the camera is off and unused and the Unleashed App closed. My camera is a Nikon Z6 with the remote device installed on it. I use the device for camera settings/controls and to attach GPS data to my photograph files. My goal is to extend battery life as long as possible when the camera is off and the app closed, and when the camera is in use. The firmware is reported by the app to be up to date: A 2.1.1, B 2.1.2, and C 2.0.0. My settings are:

GPS accuracy: 10m
LED trigger timeout: 1 sec
App activity timeout: 1 min
Sleep timeout: 1 min
Sleep timeout (GPS on): 5 min
Deep sleep timeout: 10 min
Deep sleep mode: Slow down
GPS validity timeout: 10 min.
Accessory sleep timeout: 5 min

GPS interval: 5 min. from iPhone

Your suggestions on changing settings is greatly appreciated.
Natasha

February 4th, 2022, 3:33 pm

Hi Al,

sorry for the delay! Could you try resetting the settings to the factory defaults and then see if the issue persists?
Marketing/Communications/Operations at Foolography
AaronTsur

February 4th, 2022, 6:05 pm

I reset everything to default. The issue is still there, the camera will not go into power save.
Oliver

February 19th, 2022, 1:53 pm

Hi,

we have just discovered an intermittent bug that might be the cause of this issue, along with a handful of others. It seems to be unique to the Z series, but because it's not always present, it's still very hard to say for sure, and that's also what makes it difficult to track down. But we're on it.