Unleashed '22 M doesn't work with Z fc

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
Oliver

May 31st, 2024, 1:26 pm

Thank you!
I've passed it to my Android developer.
He already had a quick look at the log file, and saw that we definitely ask android to connect to the device in firmware update mode, but then there are no further steps. He has some theories to test, but "unfortunately", it just works on all the Android devices we have here - even the older ones, which makes it difficult to fix an issue we cannot reproduce.

One thing you can try is while the Unleashed's LED is red, kill the app and restart it, then try to update the firmware from there. If it also doesn't connect, you can also unpair the Unleashed and see if you can pair with it while the LED is red as in the video.

The Unleashed will restart automatically after 2 minutes of turning red, and not starting a firmware update, so don't take too much time to restart the app.
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
birnaofthenorth

May 31st, 2024, 8:08 pm

The Unleashed app 3.2.1 fails to update the '18N2. Same behaviour as with the other '22M devices. The update hangs at 0% then bombs out.

I did send a log file, but there was no way I could attach a description of the problem. So another bug apparently. This was with the '18N2 on the Z5.
2Ticks

June 1st, 2024, 10:30 am

Good news, Oliver.

Following your suggestion to restart the app when the LED is red, the app reconnected and the update progressed and completed as expected.
Thank you for help with this.
birnaofthenorth

June 1st, 2024, 10:47 pm

After hectic trials I managed to update one of the '22M. For what purpose???. Still nothing works as it should. Tried on Z30 and Z fc with same result. There is no GPS recorded even the camera obvious receives data --shown by a steady turqoise LED. Even worse, the former bug of making it impossible to re-enable GPS once it has been turned off, pops up again. This in turn requires M reset and full configuration repair. Meanwhile, batteries are run down rapidly exactly as before, thus again the "fix" is just a waste of time. Our money have been wasted already. Now, we are asked to waste our time as well. This has crossed all red lines there are. Please, understand customers cannot be treated like this.

I think it is about time for Foolography to understand this project is a pipe dream that never will work and accept that customers just want to have their money back. We want reliable tools, not a bag of bugs. Foolography should not sell more of these flawed devices. It should be removed from the list of products. Otherwise the company in fact is ripping new customers off by selling defective devices. Paying customers cannot be treated as alpha testers. Can I express myself clearer than this?
birnaofthenorth

June 3rd, 2024, 6:24 pm

To illustrate the points I made in the previous post: the only difference in behaviour with the '22M and the (finally) updated firmware 3.4 so far is that my Zf now depletes the battery in 1 hour 55 min instead of the former 4-5 hours.

I would hardly call that an improvement.
birnaofthenorth

June 12th, 2024, 11:09 am

The company finally decided to refund my '22M, which I bought after the Kickstarter project. That leaves me with the '22M from the Kickstarter time, which I cannot get refunded. Thus I'm stuck with a defective unit that only has a single reliable function, viz. to rapidly drain the battery of my camera. For this 'feature' I have paid hard-earned money.

I have had a closer look at these units, and it is plainly obvious that the build quality is abysmal. Thus, not only do we have to struggle with the crappy and buggy software and firmware, there is also malfunctionality built into these devices. The advertising blurb about 'German qualitity' is pure nonsense,

The construction issue is with the contacts for the magnet USB pin. The contact pins rapidly begin to come out of alignment, moving laterally, or even fall out. Examples are show here, below. NB: these are different units. In addition, I have returned, and got replacements, for non-working device twice. One of the replacements went to a very early grave, whilst tte other might work for a few minutes if it is tired of draining my camera battery. However, it's the latter task it excels in, and also prefers.

_DSC2054_v1.jpg
_DSC2054_v1.jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 675 times
_DSC2053_v1.jpg
_DSC2053_v1.jpg (138.28 KiB) Viewed 675 times

Was there any field testing of this design before it went into production? Quality control apparently is non-existent. I have received 3 out of 4 units with hardware errors, and a fourth unit that is malfunctioning, although no pins have fallen out -- yet.