Unleashed '22 M doesn't work with Z fc

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
birnaofthenorth

May 28th, 2024, 7:33 pm

Here we go again. Foolography asked me to do the last updates of 24 May, 2024. The Unleashed app itself could easily be updated to v.3.20, but all Foolography camera devices, '18 N2 or the '22M , refused to be updated. After *REPEATEDLY* following suggestions of killing the app, turn Blutooth off/on, and yank the camera battery to force a reset, I'm left with three non-functional devices. Shame on you, Foolography.

So basically we are stuck in a limbo and now even worse than before, as my older and previously always reliable '18 N2 no longer works. What a bad joke.
Oliver

May 29th, 2024, 2:09 am

Hi Birna,

I'm really sorry for this experience! This update does come with a lot of bugfixes and improvements (for both the Unleashed 18 as well as the 22).
I know you probably know these things already, but just in case:
With the Unleashed M, you need to keep the camera awake, so that the Unleashed stays powered during the entire update. There's a note on the Firmware update screen about this too. To keep the camera from entering standby, half-press the cameras's shutterbutton continuously until the update is done.

The Firmware update comes in 2-3 parts, and there is often a few seconds of a break between the parts (ie at 33, 50 or 66%). Sometimes it seems to be stuck there, but then does eventually continue.

Are you on iOS or Android?
On Android 14, if it doesn't automatically reconnect during the firmware update (LED stays red), you might have to kill the app entirely and restart it. We're already working on improvements for this, that we will release in the next few days.

If you still have trouble, please let me know a few more details on where it gets stuck, what the app shows and what the LED on the Unleashed shows.

Sorry again!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
birnaofthenorth

May 29th, 2024, 9:01 am

Of course I'm very familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the updating process. it has been "quite a few" times.

I'm on Android and I have tried Android phones of different vintage with the same result. Update fails. I have removed then reinstalled the Unleashed app, which claims it is v.3.20. That changes nothing.

What happens is the app says 'Starting update', hangs for a few seconds with the progress indicator at 0%, then bombs out with 'Update failed'. The same happens on all my Nikons: Z30, Zfc, Zf, Z5, Z6. Z7. Killing the app and trying again makes no difference.

Even a stubborn goat like me can have enough of this nonsense, sorry to say. And I'm left with dysfunctional Unleashed devices on all my cameras, which is not funny at all. The flawed units have cost me hundreds of Euros and all they do is draining the camera batteries in a few hours.

Foolography priorities should be:

1. Fix the stalling updates.
2. Fix the battery drainage that kills the camera in hours
3. Make the devices functional with a snappy response, like Foolography used to be -- in a past far far away, apparently.

How difficult can that be???
Oliver

May 30th, 2024, 3:21 pm

We just published another Android app version with a fix for the reconnection issue (also during firmware updates)
I hope this solves the issue.

We also just got some crash reports for a new permission issue related to geotagging on Android 14 on a handful devices. We're fixing already, and will publish another update for that in the next few days.
If you do encounter this issue, as a workaround until then, you can go to your Android phone's system settings, and be sure to give the Location permission "Allow while using app" or "Always allow" if you have that option. Also allow Notifcations (the background GPS service runs in a notification) and "Nearby devices" .

Please let me know if that helps!

I have also once again asked Nikon to send us a Z fc and Z 30 to do more tests on.
birnaofthenorth

May 30th, 2024, 6:55 pm

Removed, then reinstalled Unleashed app. No problems solved. All attempts of updating firmware for camera device '22M or '18N2 fail as before, with progress indicator stuck at 0%. LED flashes red then blue then nothing.

Are you sure new updates to the app were uploaded? Nothing has changed. All my Foolography units are non-functional. This is suspeciously close to being ripped off.
Oliver

May 30th, 2024, 10:33 pm

In the Unleashed app, tap on the menu, then tap on (i) at the bottom, Here first tap on "About" and check the App version number. We're at 3.2.1 now.

While you're there, you're very welcome to tap on the "share log file" button, ideally shortly after encountering the issues you mention. That way we can have a look what's going on.

if the LED turns blue after being red, that means that the app has reconnected, if it starts blinking, that means the firmware update is being transferred. at least after a few seconds, the progress indicator should start showing a change though.
birnaofthenorth

May 31st, 2024, 12:20 am

The Unleashed app says 3.2.1.

My Foolography devices, all of them, refuse to update. Update fails, progress indicator stays put at 0% They are dysfunctional, as before, and only succeed in draing the camera battetries.
2Ticks

May 31st, 2024, 9:58 am

May I join this thread as I am having the exact same updating issue with my D850.
Using a phone running Android 11 and the latest v3.2.1 of the Unleashed app, the Unleashed '22 is offered an update to A 3.4.2, B 3.4.0, C 3.3.1, but the installation fails each time at 0%. Keeping the camera active makes no difference. In the past I have used this exact phone and camera combination to update but now it always fails.

Regards,
Stuart
Oliver

May 31st, 2024, 10:04 am

Sorry that you're also affected!

Could you also (after such a failed update, share a log file with us? That will help us pinpoint the root of the cause, so that we can fix it.

Also, if you could send us a video where we can see both the App and the LED on the camera, that would be great!
(you're welcome to send it to support@foolography.com)
If not, a description of the LED activity would be helpful.

With the Unleashed N1 and N2, there's no need to keep the camera awake, only on the Unleashed M, C1 and C2 that are powered from the HDMI port. The cameras stops providing power to the HDMI port when in standby, but continue to provide power to the Nikon 10 pin accessory terminal.

Sorry again, and thanks already for helping us locate the issue.
2Ticks

May 31st, 2024, 10:50 am

Hello Oliver,

After performing another update sequence, I sent the log file from the app. As requested, I sent a video to the support email which shows the camera and app progress.