A7RV ramping chaos with holy grail

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
timelapser4711

July 25th, 2024, 11:31 am

Hi!
yesterday I tried a holy grail shot (sunset to sunrise).

Camera was set to M, 1/50, ISO 100, Fixed aperture of F13.
Spot metering in the foreground of the frame. As the (very low) sun was already in the frame, I manually underexposed the first shot to -2 EV to not blow too many highlights.
Settings in the App: Interval 20, Shots 999, Algo EV24h, Adjust +/- 0.0
Night limits: 15s, ISO800
Day limits: 1/4000, ISO100
It doesn't really get dark up here in the Arctic Circle as sun only sets for less than 2 hours these days. So I didn't expect any trouble with wrong metering or strange histogram reading, etc.

WHAT HAPPENED? After starting the holy grail TL function in the App, the Unleashed forced the camera to use a longer exposure than the starting exposure already after the first shot. And after each additional shot, the exposure was changed to a longer exposure again and again. (Always 1/3 stop per shot). After a few shots I stopped because the sky got blown out completely.

I read some comments about the ADJUST-Function in the App but I didn't find official/clear documentation about it. What is the intended behaviour using the EV24h algo?

1) Is the Unleashed supposed to "hold" the -2 EV all the time and ramp to keep this EV constant? (As -2 EV was my starting value from the first shot, set in camera)
2)Or do I have to set -2 EV as an ADJUST-value in the App? (I tried this one but then the Unleashed immediately ramped into the other direction, shortening the exposure, resulting in more than -2 EV)
3) Anything else?

What would be the correct (and working!) setup to achieve what I intended? (constant ramped -2 EV exposure during the entire timelapse shot)

Background:
- Unleashed22 M with A7RV, cable from Unleashed to HDMI installed - Firmware A/B 3.5.0, C 3.3.1
- App 3.2.0 on IOS 17.5.
- USB mode = PC Remote, FTP transfer disabled, No connection to any other Sony Apps or something like that, Still Img. Save Dest. = Dest. + Camera, 2M, HEIF, Small Size
- RAW+JPEG (HEIF) activated
- Gallery in the App works and can see all pictures from the camera after syncing

Finally I got the shot, using only the A-mode in the camera - same metering as described above. Everything turned out well - but I disconnected the Unleashed for this and used only in-camera-functions without any additional tools. But I want to use the Unleashed for longer nights, stars, Northen lights etc... so I want to get it fixed and work as intended.

by the way: the dark grey/almost black text input fields on this website on the black background are hardly visible on a Mac with Safari. Dark Mode/Light mode didn't make this any better. I struggled with the registration first and used a different browser to actually see the fields "a little bit better".
photojourneyman

July 31st, 2024, 6:37 am

Can you check that you have ramping order set to: TV AV ISO, for some reason it needs to be on this for both Sunset and Sunrise. Which doesn't make sense but that is what worked for me.
Good luck with the bug fixing. I still can't get the 7R4 to work with bulb ramping. Different issue though, aperture will not budge.
timelapser4711

August 15th, 2024, 12:56 pm

I tried several settings and unfortunately all attempts always ended up in a ramping "chaos". Seems like this device is rolling dice to find out the exposure settings for each next shot.
Unbelievable to see how low the level of this and similar projects are. It's always the same. These kids come up with some idea, do some crowd funding. Eventually there are some releases after huge delays. And then they go back to their normal jobs when it didn't work out with the Ferrari - and just go into a non-reply mode because they lost interest.
Founder & CEO of Foolography will be angry now - and saying he was on a business trip, resulting in no access to emails and other ways of communication for several weeks. When I did my startup I used the time on airplanes to work on exactly such things: like customer satisfaction.
Best to shut the whole project down and not waste time. I've thrown away this device last week because it stole too much of my precious time. Also I almost damaged my X-H2S camera because I couldn't get out their device from the USB plug.