N2 firmware A 0.0.0 problem [solved with freezer trick]

We tested as good as we can. But there will always be things we didn't find. If you found things that apparently don't work as they should, you can report them here so we can take care of them as soon as possible.
starbase218

March 28th, 2023, 1:51 am

I recently bought a new USB charger for my Nikon EN-EL15c batteries. See, I had previous EN-EL15s but I found that the charger I used for those, sometimes can't charge a completely depleted 15c. The original Nikon charger will still work, but for travel I want to be able to charge everything via USB-C.

Anyway, that's the reason I wanted to test my new charger with a depleted EN-EL15c. So I tried to deplete one of them, but at one point the camera (a D750) stopped working on it, while the LCD was still working. See, the issue I had was with a 15c that did not power the camera anymore in any way. LCD stayed blank, viewfinder dark (Nikon users will know what I'm talking about), and so I wanted to achieve the same state with this battery.

I decided to plug in the N2 as well, to maybe drain a bit more power. I started the Unleashed app as well. Then I saw a firmware update. In a moment of what I can only describe as mental bewilderment, I decided to install that update...

So, that failed. Firmware A is now at version 0.0.0. I searched on this forum and read that there is a trick to put the N2 is a freezer for some time, and then try again. I've done that twice, and I've left it in for about an hour. So far though, no dice.

So I'm wondering if this can help me too. The serial number of the N2 is 003370.

Oh, one more thing. I didn't plug in the USB cable because I bought the N2 used, and the cable is not compatible with my camera. I'm assuming this doesn't matter.

Thanks!
Oliver

March 28th, 2023, 2:33 am

Hi,

sorry for the trouble!
Yes, your Serial number does fall into the "Freezer trick" range. Just give that another few tries - while it usually works on the first or second try, we've had customers where it only worked on the 10th try.
The cable is not needed, but if you want one, you can get one for your camera here: https://www.foolography.com/shop/produc ... kon-cable/
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.
starbase218

March 28th, 2023, 9:02 pm

Success. :)

Oliver

March 28th, 2023, 10:32 pm

Wohoo!
I'm glad to hear that! Thanks for letting us know!
Founder & CEO of Foolography, Hardware & Firmware developer.